Unit 4 AOS 1 - Dispute resolution methods
- the reasons for a court hierarchy;
- original and appellate jurisdictions of the: Victorian Magistrates’ Court; County Court; and Supreme Court (Trial Division and Court of Appeal)
- the role of VCAT;
- dispute resolution methods used by courts and VCAT, including mediation, conciliation, arbitration and judicial determination;
- strengths and weaknesses of dispute resolution methods used by courts and VCAT; and
- strengths and weaknesses of the way courts and VCAT operate to resolve disputes.
- define key legal terminology and use it appropriately;
- discuss, interpret and analyse legal information;
- justify the existence of a court hierarchy in Victoria;
- describe the jurisdiction of specific courts within the Victorian court hierarchy; and
- compare and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of dispute resolution methods and the way courts and VCAT operate to resolve disputes.